Historical vehicles of The Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s.
The origins of the collection of historic cars of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. date back to the late 1970's.
The first preserved article was an historic tram carriage carrying registration no. 25. Since then, the company collection of historic carriages has been growing steadily. Today, the collection totals almost twenty operable vehicles while others await renovation or preservation. Trams are most frequently represented in the collection, including service vehicles, but the collection also includes trolleybuses and buses.
The historic carriages of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. can be seen in the streets several times a year at special sightseeing tours, such as the single-rail track through the valley of the Porubka river to Zátiší, in the centre of Ostrava or in the southern housing estates.
The historic trolleybuses are well-known to all visitors of the museum expositions at the Důl Michal (Michal Mine) in Michálkovice, or the ZOO.
The historic vehicles of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. can also be hired for various events such as presentations, weddings etc.
THE OVERVIEW OF THE SELECTED HISTORICAL VEHICLES
MOTORISED TRAM CARRIAGE NO. 21
For Ostrava inhabitants, it is the symbol of the old wooden tram. The carriage was conceived in 1965 following some adaptations of the motorised vehicle no. 21 manufactured in the workshops of the Moravia and Ostrava Local Railway in 1922 after having been put out of passenger transport in 1964.
MOTORISED TRAM CARRIAGE NO. 25 + traction carriage no. 69
"vysoký motor, kroužkáč + bajvuz"
This oldest set of the company museum represents the era of Ostrava "locals" from the period between the Wars. The motorised carriage was manufactured by the Kopřivnice depot in 1919, while the traction carriage was converted out of the original passenger carriage of the steam tram in 1921.
MOTORISED TRAM CARRIAGE NO. 50 + traction carriage no. 219
The motorised and traction carriages were manufactured in 1948 and 1951, respectively. The motorised carriage was the first one to be put out of passenger transport in 1982 following the suspension of the Hlučín line, while the traction carriage was withdrawn in 1986, when it served line no. 5 for the last time.
MOTORISED TRAM CARRIAGE NO. 94 + traction carriage no. 269
Vítkovice "mosquit" set comprising motorised carriage no. 94 (manufactured in 1949) and traction carriage no. 269 (manufactured in 1953) represents the fleet in the second alve of 1960's.
MOTORISED TRAM CARRIAGE T1 NO. 528
"žehlička" (The Iron)
The T1 type tram carriage no. 528, manufactured in 1957, well-known throughout Ostrava as "The Iron" is the oldest representative of the unified series of vehicles based on the modern concept of post-war ČKD trams.
FOUR AXLE MOTORISED T2 TRAM CARRIAGE NO. 681
"té dvojka" (The Tee Two)
The post-war era of extensive modernisations in the Ostrava tram fleet is represented by the T2 type tram carriage no. 681 form 1961. The vehicle was put out of use among the last ones in February 1998. In 2000, it was submitted to a large workshop refit.
FOUR AXLE MOTORISED T3 TRAM CARRIAGE NO. 752
"té trojka" (The Tee Three)
The legendary "Tee Three" was continuation of the type series of PCC design trams manufactured in the Smíchov based Tatra factory. The tram vehicle bearing registration no. 752 was put of out use in 1970 and it is scheduled to be decommissioned in 2010.
FREIGHT MOTOR CARRIAGE NO. 106
The freight motorised carriage no. 106 was manufactured in the workshops of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. in 1951 and until 1972 when freight transport was cancelled. It was used to transport freight wagons to sidings connected to the Ostrava tram network. It was preserved in the collection of historical carriages in a condition that was the case at the turn of 1950's and 1960's.
SERVICE MOTORISED CARRIAGE NO. 24
Conceived in 1965 as a result of an adjustment to the original carriage (supplied by the Kopřivnice depot in 1919), into a service car used for maintenance and repairs to the traction line. In 2001, the carriage was submitted to a thorough refit, which restored the carriage to its original appearance of the late 1960's.
TWO AXLE TRAM MOTORISED CARRIAGE NO. 35
"vysoký motor, bibisák"
Manufactured in the Křivá Street workshops in 1932. In 1965, the carriage was put out of passenger transport and soon after was converted into a push vehicle to be used with a rotational snow flinger. In 1988, the carriage was renumbered as a service vehicle to registration no. 8035.
TWO AXLE SERVICE MOTORISED CARRIAGE NO. 2
"pluh" (The Plough)
Used for passenger transportation from 1925. Put out of use as a passenger transportation vehicle in 1968 and reconstructed as a service vehicle to be used with an RSP-1 rotational snow flinger.
FOUR-AXLED ROTARY SNOW PLOUGH RSP-1 NO. 8602
"čert" (The Devil)
Put into use in December 1964. The mechanism was pulled by a service motorised carriage no. 15, headed by a plough-share to remove any snow build-up. Later on, the structure was revisited and the mechanism was pushed and at the same time controlled from a frontal platform of the service motorised carriage.
THREE AXLE TATRA T400/IIIA TROLLEYBUS NO. 26
The twenty Tatra T400/IIIA trolleybuses witnessed the initial development of the trolleybus transport system in Ostrava. The vehicle, manufactured in 1954, originally did not wade through the streets of Ostrava but was identical to the vehicles operated in our town. In 2003, already a wreck, it was transported from Prague to Ostrava where it was put to a demanding renovation during 2007 to 2009.
ŠKODA 8 Tr TROLLEYBUS NO. 29 + KAROSA B 40 trailer no. 141
"osmička + vlečka" (The Eight + The trailer)
The Škoda 8 Tr type trolleybuses were operated in Ostrava between 1958 to 1982. The car no. 29 was manufactured in 1958 and added to the collection of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. museum vehicles following a thorough reconstruction in 1997. The two-axle KAROSA B 40 trailer no. 141 represents, in the collection, the type of bus and trolleybus trailer operated in Ostrava.
ŠKODA 9 Tr H TROLLEYBUS NO. 82
"devítka" (The Nine)
These trolleybuses have so far been the most frequent type in Ostrava. During 1963 to 1997, 75 of them were deployed in the streets of the town. The export-design historic vehicle Š9TrH23 registration no. 82 was manufactured in 1977. It ceased to serve the passengers in Ostrava in 1988.
TWO AXLE ŠKODA 14 Tr TROLLEYBUS NO. 3229
"čtrnáctka" (The Fourteen)
The Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. acquired the two initial trolleybuses of the given type during 1984. The trolleybus no. 3129 was put into use in 1985, and in 1988 it was renumbered to registration no. 3229. It remained in operation until 2007.
TWO AXLE ŠKODA 17 Tr TROLLEYBUS NO. 3902
"sedmnáctka" (The Seventeen)
In 1992, the Dopravní podnik Ostrava designed, and then commissioned in its own workshops 17 Tr type trolleybuses by refitting and modernising the body and incorporating standard Škoda 14 Tr traction equipment. In the collection of historic vehicles of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. it has been preserved in operable condition.
PRAGA RND BUS no. 28/II
Public urban bus transport in Ostrava was launched in 1930 as a supplement to the tram transport in order to provide transport services to parts of the city and surrounding villages where trams were not introduced. At the end of the thirties, the Moravian Local Railways Company only operated ten buses, namely the types Tatra 23/4, 27, 27a, 27/64, 27/91 and Škoda 154.
Praga RN buses with gasoline engines, resp. RND with a diesel engine, approx. 3,700 of which had their bodywork designed in the years 1933-1955 on a proven Praga-type chassis, were the most widespread type in Czechoslovakia in their time. Praga RND buses (the model designation is an abbreviation of the first letters derived from "Quick", "Cargo" and "Diesel") were kept in production until the mid-fifties. In the more than two decades of their production, countless variants rode out onto the roads, from conventional trucks, through buses, to special fire or military vehicles.
Altogether 17 buses of this type were registered in the Ostrava public transport system. With the gradual renewal of the fleet of buses in Ostrava, the Praga vehicles were gradually decommissioned and replaced by the new unified Škoda 706 RO buses. The last Praga RND with the registration number 29 was decommissioned in 1958. A historical bus of the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. Praga RND was obtained from a private owner in 2014, who has intensively and meticulously renovated it. Although it was not operated in Ostrava, as a representative of the classic cab-behind-engine bus concept, it corresponds to the design of the vehicles numbered 28 and 29 supplied by the Moravian Local Railways in 1947. It thus represents the earliest period of bus operation in the public transport in Ostrava in the collection of historic vehicles.
ŠKODA 706 RTO BUS NO. 247 + JELZ PO 1-E trailer no. 1227
"erťák + jelčák"
The ŠKODA 706 RTO bus, registration no. 247, was manufactured in 1966 and it has been deployed in regular operation from 1984. The JELZ PO 1-E trailer, registration no. 1227, was manufactured in 1974. In the collection, it represents a type of trailer bus operated in Ostrava.
IKARUS 280 BUS NO. 4070
The Hungarian Ikarus 280 buses were deployed in Ostrava Public Transportation system from 1977 to 2000, replacing, on the frequented lines, trailer bus sets. A total of 102 vehicles of that type were gradually deployed in the streets of Ostrava. The preserved car no. 4070 in the line design, which was less usual for the Public Transportation System, is from 1988.
KAROSA ŠM 11 BUS NO. 5842
The Karosa ŠM 11 buses amounted to, in Ostrava Public Transportation, a major modernisation in bus transport. During 1967 to 1990, a total of 441 vehicles were deployed in the streets of Ostrava. The last batch supplied in 1982 included the last vehicle preserved in the museum, namely the carriage no. 5842, which was put out of regular use in 1990.
KAROSA B 731 BUS NO. 6160
Karosa B 731 buses belong to the 700 type series, which was supplied to Ostrava, as so far the commonest type during 1981 to 1996. The preserved carriage no. 6160 is of the urban three-door design with automatic gear and is from 1986.
RENAULT CITY BUS no. 7008
Renault CITY BUS no. 7008 was manufactured in 1998 and is the representative of the first low-floor buses in Ostrava, of which 13 pieces have been purchased in total between 1996 and 1999. The deposited vehicle was taken out of passenger transport in its last operating condition on 13 December 2013, and since January 2014 it has been part of the collection of historical vehicles.
SOLARIS URBINO 15 BUS no. 7601
The Solaris Urbino 15 no. 7601 bus was bought in 2000 and was the first bus from many delivered by the Polish producer. In Ostrava different modifications and lengths of Solaris bus are operated. This bus was last in service on 7 November 2013 on bus route No. 48. Since March 2016 it has been part of the collection of historical vehicles.
ŠKODA 706 RTH TRAVELLING MOBILE WORKING PLATFORM NO. 9237
The operation of tram and trolleybus lines is inextricably linked to construction activities as well as maintenance and repairs of the trolley lines. For these purposes, adjusted road vehicles have been used, the so-called travelling mobile working platforms. Working platform no. 9237 was put into use in 1982. In 2005 it was assigned to the collection of historic vehicles and is now in the final stage of its operating life.
MILESTONES IN THE HISTORY OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM
1894 - Public Transportation introduced in Ostrava
1901 - Onset of electrification of tram lines
1930 - Onset of regular bus transport
1949 - Merger of transporters, Ostrava Municipal Transportation Company established
1952 - Trolleybus transport introduced
1996 - Public Transportation System taken over by the Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. (Ostrava Transportation Company, a joint-stock company)
RIDES OF HISTORICAL VEHICLES FOR PUBLIC
Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s. (Ostrava Transportation Company) annually organises, jointly with the Kroužek přátel MHD (Group of friends of Public Transportation), rides on historic vehicles for the general public. Information on the dates of these historic rides may be found in leaflets distributed on boards of the public transportation vehicles, daily newspapers or at www.dpo.cz.
We also offer the hire of some of the historic vehicles for various collective events. Take advantage of our offer and enjoy a ride on an historic vehicle of Dopravní podnik Ostrava a.s.
More detailed information can be obtained from: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.